Why ambitious companies within life sciences are choosing Newcastle as home
I am so passionate about our region and the talent of the people who live, work and do business here. Newcastle has a global reputation for research excellence in life science and innovation and is a UK hotspot for clinical trials. The North-east is already home to more than 200 life science and healthcare businesses and the fact that we have a £350m flagship development right in the heart of our city plays a huge part in attracting more businesses to the region.
The investment in Newcastle Helix is phenomenal, with construction and planning underway for buildings that will offer office and laboratory space, housing and top-class research facilities. There is and will be even more space for programmes and initiatives that will enable the community on Newcastle Helix to meet, share ideas, collaborate and innovate.
There is a huge commitment to putting the right infrastructure in place to ensure the life sciences sector thrives and the next building to open will be the ‘The Biosphere’ This is the first of its kind for Newcastle and will contain both commercial laboratory and office space, really complementing our offer to national and international businesses. There has been a shortage of laboratory space in our city and this facility will provide much-needed space that will help us to attract inward investment.
Newcastle Helix is unique. It really isn’t just about the buildings (although you can’t argue about the quality of technical specification) it’s about the community of people in and around it, which is really adding value for companies who are choosing to do business there. It’s also a great selling point when I am talking to new companies.
Ten reasons why businesses are making the move to Newcastle Helix…
- They want to be part of a community of like-minded businesses, academics and researchers
- The established £1.1bn life science eco-system that surrounds it
- Newcastle Helix is the UK’s biggest urban development outside London evidencing the momentum we have as a city
- Access to talent pools and expertise in our regional assets such as CPI.
- Two National Innovation Centres on site: The National Innovation Centre for Ageing and The National Innovation Centre for Data
- Positive attitude to collaboration and sharing best practice from our existing business community.
- Our city is nationally and internationally connected – with the airport 20 minutes from Newcastle Helix and trains to London in 2hrs 45m
- The high density of STEM students at our universities – almost 50%, which is higher than any other region
- Newcastle University is recognised as a Top 100 in the world for Life Sciences and UK Top 10 for medical and life sciences
- Quality of life is second to none in Newcastle. Happy staff, happy business.
I am so passionate Newcastle Helix’s vision. Everyone involved in driving this development forward is dedicated to helping people to live better. It is a privilege play a part in helping this urban space to grow stronger. I truly believe this community of like-minded people will build a brighter future for the next generation.