New Ageing and Living Development in Central Newcastle announced
The multi-million-pound development, known as the Campus for Ageing and Vitality (CAV), will be situated on a 29-acre brown-field former hospital site and will encompass a range of uses, allowing for healthy ageing innovation, research and development to be carried out at one location. GSSArchitecture will be working closely with the university’s partners, including Newcastle City Council and Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (NuTH) in order to develop plans that will establish this site as the world’s premier centre for healthy ageing and living.
The ambitious plans were unveiled in March at an Invest Newcastle hosted event held at The Biosphere on the Helix Development. Newcastle City Council’s Chief Executive, Pat Richie, Vice-Chancellor and President of Newcastle University, Professor Chris Day, and Jonathan Hunter, Partner at GSSArchitecture were on hand to launch the proposals.
As Project Partner at GSSArchitecture, Jonathan Hunter has been working closely with the entire team in order to ensure this development will be a world-leading centre for scientific and academic research.
Discussing the plans for this exciting site, Jonathan said, “This site represents a fantastic opportunity for Newcastle to grow its already significant, national reputation as a centre for excellence in ageing, innovation and digital science. We aim to develop a masterplan that will support a truly integrated community, focused on the principles of Health, Wealth and Wellbeing in later living and we are delighted to be working with Newcastle University and the City Council in delivering this vision.”
The site was recently purchased by Newcastle University from NuTH and will complement the Newcastle Helix Site also situated in the city, where GSSArchitecture recently delivered The Catalyst, the iconic home to both the National Innovation Centre for Ageing and the National Innovation Centre for Data. The CAV development will provide an internationally renowned test bed for innovation, implementation and evaluation of new technologies and lifestyle approaches for the older person, across a wide range of sectors.
The proposed multi-generational residential, research and commercial development hopes to build on the city’s already strong reputation as a leader of innovation, evaluation and dissemination of new technologies and lifestyle approaches for the older person.
With approximately 25% of the UK population aged over 60, and with this figure predicted to rise significantly by 2040, the CAV site will stimulate a renewed focus on the challenges ageing brings, including early prevention and diagnosis of chronic diseases, and improved management of multi-morbidity.
GSSArchitecture have a great deal of experience in the development of mixed-use urban developments and masterplans, and have successfully delivered a number of high profile buildings across a variety of sectors over their 140 year history. If you would like to know more about GSSArchitecture, or would like to see examples of some of the projects they have delivered recently, please visit www.gssarchitecture.com
Related articles and links
- Multi-generational placemaking - a discussion about how Newcastle is pioneering the longevity economy and what this means for business
- OpenLab : designing tech to transform lives
- Architecture for Innovation - read about GSS Architecture's approach to designing the groudbreaking building, The Catalyst
Information for Editors:
- Photographs can be provided or an opportunity can be arranged at GSSArchitecture, 35 Headlands, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN15 7ES
- Founded in 1879, GSSArchitecture is one of the leading national architectural, quantity surveyors and top consultant practices. We have eight partners and a total strength of around seventy, and with offices in Kettering, Harrogate, Gloucester, Milton Keynes and Newcastle we cover the whole of England and Wales.
- GSSArchitecture’s newsletter and website are available at www.gssarchitecture.com.
- Further information, or for regular news and updates, is available on our LinkedIn pages or follow @GSSArchitecture on Twitter.
For further information and images, please contact: Liam Twynham, PR & Marketing Assistant, 01536 513 165, email@example.com
Gabriella Snelling, Business Development Coordinator, 01536 513 165, firstname.lastname@example.org