The District Energy Centre
The District Energy Centre is the first scheme in a pioneering new venture to develop district energy schemes across the city in partnership with ENGIE, a leading energy, services and regeneration specialist.
It has been calculated that the scheme will provide a carbon emission saving of 30,650 tonnes over 40 years.
The £20M District Energy Centre provides affordable heating to all businesses and homes on the site via a network of underground pipes. Non-residential properties on the site also benefit from a cooling system and a bespoke electricity supply.
At a glance
- The Energy Centre covers: 732 sqm.
- Providing 10MW of heating
- 5MW of cooling
- 8MVA of power to the connected buildings on the site
- via 5.2km of buried network
Figures from ENGIE with thanks
You might also be interested in
- New data science skills support clean tech innovator with their growth plans - read about how Helx-based Connected Energy teamed up with the National Innovation Centre for Data
- Newcastle University Centre for Energy - world-leading research happening at Helix
- Harnessing the heat beneath our feet to transition to Net Zero Emissions - a geothermal energy research project taking place at Helix